Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Embossing Clipboard photo displays

It's my turn to post our Tuesday Tips & Tricks over at Frosted Designs, so I'm sharing this tutorial on making embossed clipboards to display your photos.

A few weeks ago, while we were on a weekend trip out of state, I saw some kraft clipboards printed with white polka dots in an arts and crafts store.  I thought they would make really cute photo displays, but they were a little pricey, and I knew there should be a way to make something similar for a lot less money.

Our local Walmart had similar plain clipboards for about $1.50, so I bought a few and assembled some supplies from my stash at home:  embossing ink, white embossing powder, stamps, and my heat gun.


To start out, I made three clipboards:  one using a small plain circle stamped randomly to cover the clipboard, one with the small polka dot background stamp, and another with small stars stamped to cover the clipboard.  After stamping, I embossing the images using white embossing powder and a heat gun.  One note:  it took several seconds longer to emboss the images on the clipboard than it normally would to emboss on cardstock, so go slowly and take your time.  (also, the metal clip gets pretty warm, so use a potholder or a cloth to hold onto it)   You don't have to cover the entire clipboard, as your photo will cover the center.  Here are my three finished ones:


To finish your clipboard display, add your photo and desired embellishments.  I matted my photos, leaving extra space at the top to fit under the clip, and then added some washi tape, word stickers and a little ribbon to the metal clip at the top.
 
 
 I kept mine fairly simple because I plan on grouping five or six of these together on a wall, but you could certainly add more ribbon, or flowers or gems - whatever suits your style.  It would be fun to try embossing the stars in gold and adding some holly and red ribbon to display Christmas photos, or even embossing in black and adding a plastic spider and black & orange ribbon for Halloween.  
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very cute project. This would be perfet to give a little gift for the grandkids.