Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Using a typewriter motif on a scrapbook page

Today on the Get It Scrapped blog, we're looking at ways to use typewriter motifs on scrapbook pages.   I know there's a whole generation (or two!) that have never used a typewriter, but back in my day, typewriters were a valuable tool.  I have fond memories of high school typing class, especially when we made the switch to IBM Selectrics - now we had the ability to change fonts, how cool!

Typewriters make me think of documents, keeping records, and nostalgia for earlier times, so it seemed like that motif was a perfect fit for this page about the census record I found of my mom and her family.

Paper & stickers:  Simple Stories; Frame: Basic Grey; wooden alphas: Studio Calico
 
When the 1940 census was released last year, it sparked my interest in genealogy, especially when I was able to find my parents and grandparents in the census records.  I used a copy of the 1940 census showing my mom, her brother, parents and grandparents as my background on this page, with a frame highlighting their names.  An old photo of my mom at around her age in 1940 was printed in black and white and trimmed with deckle edge scissors.  I added a typewriter motif that was fussy cut from patterned paper and a vintage typewriter sticker.  To make it look like there was a document in the typewriter, I cut a small slit around the roller portion of the typewriter sticker and inserted a ledger print sticker.  In keeping with the typewriter motif, I used a typewriter font rubon for the “1940″ at the top of the page, and typewriter key alpha stickers for my mom’s initials under her photo.
 
Check out the Get It Scrapped blog for more great ideas on using the typewriter motif!

No comments: