Monday, April 19, 2010

Fantabulous Cricut Challenge #6

Today's challenge at Fantabulous Cricut was to make a project featuring something that flys. I've been wanting to try cutting fabric with my Cricut, so I decided to try an applique quilt for this project.

I googled tips for cutting fabric with the Cricut and found lots of information. I used some of these tips and had no problems at all cutting fabric, so I'm passing them on to you:
1) use 100% cotton fabric
2) use Heat 'n Bond Ultra Hold fusible adhesive
3) use a new mat and blade - I just put this blade in a little baggie and labeled it for fabric, so I can use it next time.

Iron the Heat 'n Bond onto the back side of the fabric. Once it cools, remove the paper backing and place the fabric onto the mat, adhesive side down. I used blade depth of 6, pressure set at max and speed at medium. The butterfly was cut from the Simply Sweet cartridge, at 6.5". I cut two from pink fabric and two from green fabric and then mix & matched the bodies to get four butterflies. The butterflies were ironed on to 7.5" squares of blue fabric, and then I added some penstitching to the butterflies with a Zig Pigma pen. I added some yellow border strips to finish off the quilt front and quilted around the wings once the quilt was assembled.




I think this will look cute hanging on the wall in my DGD's room! I'm looking forward to working with fabric and Cricut again.

Please join the challenge this week at Fantabulous Cricut. We'd love to see your work!

3 comments:

Angi Barrs said...

Your project is beautiful. Thanks for the fabric cutting tips.

SALTZWORKS said...

That is way cool!!!! However do you find the time? Keep it up, I'm sure enjoying the ideas :)

Penny Light/Light Whimsy said...

This IS ohh so sweet and a beautiful project. I haven't tried cutting fabric yet, but you make it look wonderful!