Monday, July 18, 2011

One layer cards over @ Practical Scrappers

Today's post @ Practical Scrappers spotlights one-layer cards. So many cards we see on scrappy blogs and sites are made up of many layers of pp, cardstock and embellishments. They definitely are gorgeous works of art, but sometimes you just want something a little more streamlined. However, that doesn't mean that single layer cards can't be gorgeous, too! Just look at the examples over at Practical Scrappers. Some of the cards done with stamps and masking techniques look like they are made of layers of patterned paper.

The cards I made for this challenge are pretty simple. For this first card, I stamped the flower image and then sponged some Distress Ink on the flowers to give a more rustic look. To get the sentiment shaped over the flower image, I placed the acrylic sentiment stamp on my acrylic stamping block in a curved shape (that's one nice thing acrylic stamps - they're flexible!) I added a wavy doodled border with a fine tip brown pen.



For the second card, I colored the tree stamp with Tombow markers to get the multicolored image. The sentiment was stamped in brown ink, and then I stitched a border with gold tinsel thread for a little sparkle, and inked the edges with Distress Ink for some extra color.



I hope you'll be inspired to try a single layer card soon!

1 comment:

VanessaB said...

beautiful! very artsy. love these cards :)