Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Mix It Up Challenge Blog - challenge #62

 Here we are at the start of a new month, so it's time for a new Mix It Up Challenge!  As always, it's an anything goes challenge but this month we have the optional challenge of including a technique.  This can be an old favorite technique or one that is new to you.

For my project this month, I used the Heat Embossed Ink Lifting Technique, shared by Jennifer McGuire on her blog.   You can see her tutorial for the technique here.    The neat thing about this technique is that you end up with two backgrounds for each piece you create.   Be sure to check our Jennifer's blog and YouTube Channel for her awesome tutorial.   

I started with 110# white cardstock, and heat embossed some leaf images onto the cardstock, using Versamark ink and white detail embossing powder.  Once the image was embossed, I repeated the procedure to get a second embossing over the first.  Then I took a second piece of 110# cardstock and used Distress Inks to swipe some ink to cover the cardstock.  I used darker colors and went pretty heavy handed with the ink to get good coverage.  Then I spritzed the inked cardstock with water a few times til it was fairly wet.  I placed that inked cardstock face up on my diecutting machine plate, and the white embossed cardstock with the leaf images face down on top of it, then ran the sandwich through my embossing machine a couple of times.   This will give your one piece with a distinct heat embossed image and another piece with a faint watermark style image.  I also spritzed the card fronts lightly with a shimmer mist.


Once the inked & embossed pieces were dry, I diecut them and added to cards, along with stamped, foiled, or die cut sentiments.  The two cards above show the heat embossed images, while the two below show the secondary pieces.


On the secondary cards, I stenciled some leaf images with either white or grey pigment ink.  

I hope you get a chance to join us at the Mix It Up Challenge Blog this month and maybe try out this heat embossing/ink lifting technique (or any other technique you would like).  I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone creates and hopefully will learn some new techniques and tips!






1 comment:

Elaine aka Ellapu said...

Beautiful cards and striking colours fabulous xx